Sunday, May 15, 2011

The aftermath.

"I've just settled into the glass half-empty, made myself at home."- Vienna Teng

I forget what life was like before senior year.  Not that that's a bad thing.  It's not like senior year was bad - it's definitely not that.  I'm glad it happened, and I would be significantly more upset if I did not have a senior year.  Last week, I read a letter that I wrote freshman year, addressed from me to me. 

I read about all of the jokes and music and television shows I used to like.  I don't like the same things anymore.  Life goes on, TV shows get canceled, and new albums are released.  I've grown up. 

I found out how cute and innocent I was.  Something I wanted to do in the next four years: to go to a dance with a girl.  What I wanted to be when I grew up: I don't know.  What I wanted to major in: everything.  

I read about all of the goals I had.  My academic goals, my extracurricular goals... I wrote as if I were aiming low, but as it turns out, I failed almost every single one of them.  I was wildly ambitious, too much for my own good.  But, as a result, I was happy because I was hopeful of what could happen and the life I could have.

I used to be so optimistic.  I was so happy and playful and wonderfully innocent and blindly ambitious.  Life wasn't nearly as good as it is now, but I was happier because I was hopeful.  It's a striking difference to how am now.  It turns out, meritocracy only goes so far. I thought that I would be entering college like I would enter high school, but I failed to consider how unknowing of the world I used to be.

1 comment:

  1. I think I know who this is. I wished that I had written a letter to myself in freshman year; it would have been absolutely interesting to see how I used to be and the way I used to think before going through all four years in high school.
    However, even without the letter, I know one thing for sure: that we've grown. We've gone through numerous experiences and developed as an individual, hopefully in a positive way.
    Even though after all these years it seems like it's impossible to have innocent hopes back, but I'd still like to try and hope for the future. And this time, make it happen.
    -Chloe K.

    ReplyDelete