Monday, February 28, 2011

School Loop - The Death of Students?

When the news of School Loop was announced, I'm sure that in most students heads, they were screaming- petrified. "What if my parent's find out how much I've been slacking?" and "How will I be able to hide my grades anymore?" probably ran across the students' minds at one point or another.  Most teachers love this new site because they can update and post everything they need on one site; they do not need to use different sites and programs to show homework, assignments, and grades.  The new system emails updates on EVERYTHING, EVERY DAY; grades, homework due dates, missing assignments.  As a student, it gets rather annoying because of the constant emails and reminders.  We understand that we need to keep up with homework and grades, but is a daily email necessary?  School Loop also sends email updates to parents- which is considered as the death of all students.  Personally, I already get nagged on by my parents everyday with "Do your homework! Did you take any tests lately? When are grades coming out?" and so on.  With School Loop, I think they will be asking more questions and be more on my case about school.  That responsibility of maintaining homework and grades on our own are taken away because most parents will continue to question and interfere with that responsibility.

However, trying to see it as a teacher or parent, I too, would feel that it is the parent's right to be able to access grades and homework assignments that are due or missing.  If a student is that afraid of having their parents find out about their grades, they probably need to raise those grades for their own benefit.  In fact, the entire site of School Loop is beneficial.  Although it may seem like a nuisance to have a constant reminder, the site allows you to access homework assignments when you, as a student, are absent, test dates so you can study ahead of time, and other important school updates.  This site should act as a negative reinforcment to push students to avoid that discomfort of "slacking".

Although there are beneficial aspects to School Loop, I still feel that it is a nuisance to have a constant reminder and email updates of grades and homework. Give me a break! (:

33 comments:

  1. I definitely can agree that school loop is just a tad bit annoying with the emails. But I think that that part is good for students. What I don't like about it is the students' lack of privacy. I think that parents should let their kids work it out - if the kid's going to fail, his mom knowing about it won't do much. And if he fails and his mother does not find out until after it happened, you can best bet he's still going to be in trouble.

    My parents have never been very involved in my school life, and I kind of like it that way. I think parents need to allow their kids to learn, because they won't be around when we go to college. I have become very independantly motivated because of my parents' lack of involvement with my grades, and I think that this is good. Other kids should learn that feeling as well, and I worry that school loop will eliminate the ability for this to happen. Great post and good insight.

    - Melanie N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you tried to be understanding and see it from both perspectives (Student & Parent). Nonetheless, I agree with you. I have enough accounts to check, thanks to whoever added this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very refreshing post to have a topic discussed about current events related to school and students both, instead of the same assignments posted from class by every team. I myself have decided to keep my email address from the site simply because of that annoying insistence for my homework to be done. My parents don't nag me about tests, or grades, or homework because they know I can balance my social life with my education. They frankly don't care about how I'm doing up until my report cards, and if there is a C or B- in it, I'm dead. Frankly, I'm glad my dad gets these updates, because he thinks I get bad grades, which I don't think is true. This gets to show him that I'm not.

    I agree, School Loop is definitely beneficial, and a great resource to find missing assignment, homework, etc. Exciting, even, to see resources transferring from paper to digital. This digital age is becoming thoroughly easy to get things done, appointments made, information found. I get a kick from seeing peers in my class turn in assignments through their iPads, and others getting information from their 4G smartphones. School Loop makes keeping up with your grades much easier.
    And to keep from those annoying emails, take out your email from the account, and just replace it with a fake, or your parent's email - and just look up your needed information on your own time. =)

    Elish - Blue Penguins

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you gave both sides of the argument on this rather controversial new site. I think that it is being put into use with the best intentions. I think that for many students and parents, it will be beneficial and I can also see it forcing more students to stay on task and work harder under the constant pressure. That being said, my one issue with school loop is that in a way it is taking away the responsibility from the students and putting it back into the parents' hands. I always thought that high school was supposed to prepare students for college: an environment in which every individual is on their own and solely responsible for all their school work. This is making it so that parents not only know grades every day but also if you have missed the days assignment or if you are tardy. I just feel like it is almost reverting back to elementary school when parents had to sign off and say that you finished your homework every day. I understand that many students need this extra push to make them strive, but for me I would rather attain my grade without my parents pushing me along the way. Otherwise I think it's a great tool and I am glad you blogged about it!
    -Audrey T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found School Loop to be extremely useful and complimentary to our on-campus education. Personally, my parents never nag me about homework or check up on my missing assignments so I can't relate to that but I can see the annoyance that that aspect of School Loop can cause. From a teacher or parent's perspective, a student's fear of getting low grades is simply a motivation for him or her to work harder so it's hard to imagine that any parent or teacher would be opposed to it. You're right, it is a sort of negative reinforcement.

    By the way, you can change your preferences to stop the daily emails. Click on "Account Management" on the top and you can turn off the daily emails. :)

    -Matt A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the general idea of school loop was to be beneficial because it keeps parents and students updated, and does prevent students from slacking or not ahcieving their potential. Personally, I like being able to keep track of my grades because some teachers are not cooperative and refuse to post grades, especially because I had an unfortuante experience last semester in a class where the grades could be anywhere from a D to an A which was pretty frightening! On the other hand, it does seem to be giving parents a bit too much power. I think quarter and semester grade notices should be enough for parents because they need to make sure there child is on track, but it's the students who need the detailed information because we're mostly respnsible and school is our "job" and we should manage it. But thankfully we're graduating see ya school loop :)
    -Hillary D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. School Loop has come with quite a controversy. Parents can now have instant access to a student’s grade and it adds a certain degree of pressure and expectation. However, School Loop also makes it easier for the student to check homework assignments. Aside from the grade checker, do you think School Loop is a positive or negative innovation?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, person who did not sign their name!

    I don't know if you are asking for advice or not, but it seems that you do not want your parents to be so concerned about your grades. There are multiple solutions to this problem that I would like to suggest:

    1. The most obvious answer is that if you gain their trust that you can achieve without their nagging, they will stop nagging. For example, if you get straight A+'s, I doubt your parents will have any concerns about your performance in school, and might not even want to use school loop because they know that you are doing fine!

    2. Another solution is to give them big news that is so big that they will forget all about your performance in school. One of the easiest ways to do this is to say that you are pregnant, or got someone pregnant. If my parents think I got someone pregnant, my grades will be the last thing on their mind! Other examples of "big news" are: you have a severe disorder (OCD, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, anorexia, etc.), or that your best friend died. Any of these big pieces of news will surely have your parents place grades at a lower priority!

    3. You can tell them that if they continue nagging you about your grades, you will do something unpleasant. For example, if you tell them, "If you keep nagging me about my grades or homework I will use the kitchen knife to make myself infertile" they would probably comply.

    I hope these tips helped!

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha nice david^

    I agree, the school loop has indeed created nagging about work and grades but it is not the death of the student because it can potentially help students to get motivated. I do think that it is up to the student; however, to take responsibility for their own education. After all it is their own mind that will grow, not the parents.
    Andrew v

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, so I was just going to respond to the post, but I feel I must address David's quite humorous, not to mention drastic, post. Have you ever read Shel Silverstein? Perhaps a better option for #3 would be "if you keep nagging me about my grades, I'll fail the next test completely."
    "If you have to do the dishes,
    Such an awful, boring chore,
    If you have to do the dishes,
    'Stead of going to the store,
    If you HAVE to do the dishes,
    and you drop one on the floor,
    Maybe they won't make you do the dishes anymore."
    I believe David is suggesting you "drop the proverbial dish"

    @high ceilings: does the person X who posted this perhaps have contact with teacher Y? Are they a slacker?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry guys, Amy L posted this blog.

    In response to David's first suggestion, I do maintain and keep up with my grades. I finish all the work I need for the next day and usually try to get ahead. In doing so, I have a less workload the next couple of days, and my parents do not see that I do the homework assigned to me during the day. And because of "Senioritis" that they heard of, they think I have contracted this laziness. When I say "I finished my work already," they just think I skipped it. I am sure they trust me in my school performance because I do follow through when I say I will do my best, but I think that they believe it is their responsibility to remind me, so I continue to do my best.

    And thank you to all who suggested that I change the setting so I won't receive the daily emails. LIFESAVER.

    -Amy L

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very true. I understand that it is the parents' right to know what is going on but shouldn't the students be able to handle this on their own? It's not like we are not in class every day even though some are only physically there. It should be our responsibility to remain on task for that is what is truly going to help us in college considering our professors are not going to be constantly posting our assignments, grades, or even attendance.
    -Melissa Mejico

    ReplyDelete
  13. From a teacher’s perspective, school loop is good because they can update grades and assignments from a single website. From a parent’s perspective it is good because they can regularly check on their child’s work in school. As a student, school loop can be good because it forces you to do good because your parents always check. The problem I have with school loop is that the students lose a sense of privacy of their grades. I also think it is the student’s responsibility to keep their grades up. With my mom not knowing exactly what assignments I have, it becomes up to me to get it done on time or to study enough so that I do well. This hopefully creates better study habits that are more personalized which will help later like in college where our parents won’t be around to tell us to study hard and do out homework.
    Zach Y

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time it's important to remember that mom and dad aren't gonna be there to monitor our grades next year while we're in college. School Loop, although intended to benefit students, seems to do more harm than good. It makes the student depend more on their parents staying on them about their grades than actually doing it themselves. Personally, I think this would have been great in middle school and freshman & sophomore year... MAYBE junior year. But senior year especially is a time for students to be more independent and responsible about keeping their grades up as they make that transition from high school to college.
    -Kaylynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok i like the whole idea of allowing students, parents and teachers to stay communicated and be able to see all the assignments and grades, but how come they just decided to use this program?..its been used in other schools and Osos should of brought it up from the beginning of the year not now when we are about to graduate. Its not a big deal, i just think they should of waited till next year to start off the year with this new program.
    -Danny D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. True.
    Having EVERYTHING set on a website for our parents to see seems more like a childcare rather than highschool.
    I think its our job to remain on task in school without our parents breathing down our backs.
    I DONT HAVE ONE :O
    -Anthony Flores

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like what Kaylynn said about our parents are not going to be able to monitor our grades and homework when we get to college next year.
    Especially as seniors, ready to graduate, we need to have that privacy and responsibility of our own grades to maintain.

    -Amy L

    ReplyDelete
  18. David the only problem with your solution is that the parents would obviously know that their child is joking or the student would be in more trouble from the "big news" and recieve more unwanted attention from their parents. Honestly, if a student has a problem with school loop, then they should tell their parents "You cannot check my grades in college, and if you baby me now how will i learn responsibility on my own?" This stradgey could possible make their parents respect the students honesty.
    But in my opinion, school loop is good for the teacher, but bad for the students. The responibility of doing work on your own without reminders would be gone. And the student loses the responibility of accepting whatever grade they earn, because as soon as their parents see the grade becoming lower the parents would probably force the student to bring it up. As for the teachers, school loop gets rid of the communication problems between parents. The parents can see why students have the grades and do not need to bother the teachers with every detail about the grade. Overall school loop is here, and theres really nothing students can do about it.
    -Alicia M.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree that school loop can be annoying, but it is very nice when checking grades, whether it's a parent checking or a student. However, many of my teachers are not fully using the website, as it is not supposed to be fully integrated until next year, and I think that is what makes it seem so annoying. You are supposed to have everything about school in one place, but it's still not.
    -Emily S.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha what a nice post we can all relate to. I understand that School Loop can be annoying since parents can find out their kids' grades and whatnot. I actually wish that my parents forced me to get good grade in my previous high school years but they are lenient. :/

    So School Loop is just convenient for me since I can just look up all my homework there. But yes, at first, the email notifications that I'd receive everyday at 5:04 in the afternoon were really annoying...

    Boa K.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I concur that school loop is both a slight incursion on our privacy yet also beneficial as a whole. My father, being very well versed in the new technologies, learned about school loop before even me, and instantly began to nag about my grades, especially the Literature one. However, school loop does do an adequate job of keeping us students on track when it comes to homework or grades, yet I don't know how well it will work when integrated with the possible new grading system.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It definitely is not fair to students beginning high school to have to go through this constant annoyance. High school is very difficult for some students to get used to and having parents on your case every day just is not fair. -Richard H

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very true that the email updates are annoying, but all you have to do is click unsubscribe and the problem is fixed. Unlike the majority of my peers, I'm fond of School Loop and think it has great potential in raising students grades. Luckily, my parents don't really nag or put pressure on me to obtain good grades, it's a personal choice for me to do well and challenge myself. School loop fixes the gap between teacher/parent connections, which I think is very beneficial to students that are struggling.

    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it was about time for someone to introduce School Loop because I personally helps me a lot more. Now I don't have to constantly ask friends "Is chapter 22 due tomorrow or Thursday" because its all online. In addition, I can also be up to date with my grades because I won't have to wait for my teacher to post grades on the front door or wonder what I got on that Econ test. Overall, it makes my life so much easier.

    Cynthia Navarro

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loathe School Loop! It would have been way more useful if they gave this to us prior to now. Although I do appreciate teh fact that I can see exactly what I got on a test the day of instead of waiting for the next day!
    -Tamera A

    ReplyDelete
  26. I personally like School Loop. I know, I know, everyone thinks it's lame and a waste of time. But i love having all of my due dates posted for my assignments and tons of links to resources all on one website page. It's like a Binder Reminder on steroids! And personally, I need to be reminded of what I need to do and when I need to have it done by.
    _meredith k

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whenever I check my email, I also get tired of seeing "school loop", it gets really irritating to see constant messages from school loop, however the benefit of receiving these messages is that I always know what my homework is and my grade in class.

    -Semarn K

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is true that school loop is beneficial in many ways, but I would still rather that it did not exist. The constant emails are quite an annoyance but that is still tolerable. My main issue is the absurd ammount of access into the exact breakdown of our grades it gives to our parents. Honestly I dont like how involved parents are becoming in their high schoolers life, we dont need constant monitoring because if we havnt learned to take care of ourselves by now then we are not going to make it when we go off to college in a few months.

    -Jacci E.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes School Loop is helpful in reminding you of your homework and such.
    But we are in high school, soon in college, shouldn't we be responsible for keeping track of our own homework?
    I'm sure that when we are in college, most professors will not have email reminders about homework, or sending out email updates about grades and homework to our parents. Actually, our parents do not have the rights unless us, students, give them the rights; if I am not mistaken.

    -Amy L

    ReplyDelete
  30. I feel ike school loop is both a good and bad thing. It really informs you about everything that's going on in your classes but it is a great nuisance with the e-mails - I even unsubscribed from them. Also school loop isn't really preparing us for the real world, after high school, we will not be getting constant rminders of all the things that we need to do.

    School Loop takes me back to the article we read in the beginning of the year talking about the End of Solitude; this is exactly that. Everything we do and will do in the future will be Internet accesible or on some social or chatting network.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i personally like school loop. it makes life soo much easier when i just go on my email to check my grade instead of asking all of my teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. School loop has its ups and downs for both students and parents, but I believe its a good thing for me personally because my parents dont nag me about my school work because I take responsibility for it and het my stuff done. I can see how people find it annoying but for me the postitves of it outweigh all the negative aspects of it. On the upside we are able to view our current grade any time we wish
    -kelli horvath

    ReplyDelete
  33. Although School Loop is efficient in terms of notifying students and parents of assignments and grades, it is a little bit stressful since it constantly bombards you with reminders for assignments and forces you to worry about school all the time!

    ReplyDelete