Friday, January 14, 2011

Jane Eyre vs. Tess

My first thoughts about choosing between these two novels were much less than ecstatic. Truthfully, as a guy, I was not to thrilled about picking between two books with female protagonists. I felt it would be hard to relate to either girl: how is it I can focus on a 400+ page novel that I am not really interested in what transformations the main character has. This bias/sextist view has been diminshed in my mind now that I have given it more clear thought and started reading the book "Jane Eyre". I have a newfound curiousity towards the book, for I realized that it is important to understand all parts of a lifestyle. Much like understanding both Democrats and Republicans, or multiple religions, I understand it is vital to know how someone who is totally different from me would deal with a certain situation. As I continue divulging into "Jane Eyre", I will read and study how she attacks and deals with her struggles and conflicts. It will only enhance my knowledge, learning about something totally new to me; therefore, making me a more complete individual.

Cameron Tagge

7 comments:

  1. Cameron,

    I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to see that there is value in experiencing something beyond your own situation. I think you will find that the novels reveal as much about what it means to be aman as they do about what it means to be a woman. They actually are each more about how we handle the difficult sitautions life sometimes places before us. I hope you enjoy your reading!

    Mrs. Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts on these novels are exactly the same as yours, Cameron. At the start of the semester I wasn't too enthusiastic about choosing either of these books either, thinking them to be "girly." However, choosing to read "Jane Eyre" was a good idea in my opinion because, like you, I see now the importance in understanding multiple perspectives on lifestyle.
    Byron C

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!

    haha

    I feel you on this brotha! You should go pick up Pride and Prejudice. It also involves a female protagonist, who must go through an opinionated society. It isn't nearly as long, and is easier to follow. You may even be able to relate to the characters in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that Jane Eyre may not be the most appealing book to a guy but the book is more than just about a girl. Like what Mrs. Elliott said, its about the struggles people often face with society. In the Victorian era, Jane Eyre was born with a lot going against her because she is a woman and was an orphan from the lower class. The book shows these struggles back then that can still sometimes be seen today in some societies.
    Zach Y

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about not being inclined to read the book, especially because of the female protagonist. However, as I read Tess, I realized that it was so much more than just the transformation of the main character. Tess shows us the injutices towards women in Victorian society and reading the book helps us learn about society in the past. It makes you feel lucky to live in a society today where things like rape do not go unpunished, and people are not judged as much for the decisions that they make.

    -Jehan T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how you feel when you do not want to read a book with a female protagonist. However after reading Tess I was able to realize that it is much more than the transformation of the main character. Tess teaches us about the injustices of Victorian society and teaches us about our history. It makes you feel lucky that we now live in a free society where people are able to make decisions without being judged and crimes such a rape do not go unpunished.

    -Jehan T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cameron,

    I would like to point out that male humans and female humans are more similar than you think! Other than 1 chromatid, we have the same basic genetic makeup, meaning that most human processes and information are exactly the same.

    In Western culture, we even enjoy protagonists who are not even human! Spongebob Squarepants comes to mind. If we can relate to microscopic aquatic protagonists, we can certainly relate to female protagonists.

    David

    ReplyDelete