Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Poor Creature

After actually reading Frankenstein for the first time, I now realize how much the character of the "creature" is so poorly misconceived.  So often we see Frankenstein as this abominable creature--well this is actually true because he's really ugly--but for some reason we think of him as having green skin and something incapable of of human-like intellligence when, actually, is very smart.  So is the "creature" really that bad? I don't think so and, in fact, he reminds of a Quasi-Moto character reborn through Mary Shelley's story.  You may laugh, but when thought about throughly you might find I'm not so far off in my analysis (just remember I'm talking about the happy Disney version, not the real one with the sad ending).  For example, Quasi-Moto was rejected at birth and abandoned in a bell tower--the "creature" was also rejected at birth and abandoned by Victor after his creation.  So bearing, this in mind is it so hard to actually grow to like the hideous "creature"? The aversion everyone has to "creature" is the fact he's just so UGLY and, sure he murdered a few people, but Quasi-Moto set fire to a building (probably killed some people to) and he and Esmeralda were still best friends.  He even got crowned the King of Topsy Turvy day and the people loved him...in the movie, that is.  So why not give creature a chance?  I'm sure he can't be that much uglier than Quasi Moto (whom everyone eventually loved) or an English Bulldog (which are really ugly but people will still buy one for $2,000 at Moondoggies), and who knows? Once, you get to know him he just might just realize he's not so bad after all.

Rebekah Adeyemo

No comments:

Post a Comment